•   almost 2 years ago

Is this open to all developers?

Hi. I'm from the UK and was wondering if this competition is open to all or does it require you to be in the US / Canada? The reason I ask is that it states that Kids Skills are only available in the US / Canada and, as I wish to have people test it in my own country I wasn't sure if this would be able to happen.

I look forward to your reply.

• 12 comments

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

Hey Christopher!

Great question. The competition is open to nearly every country for those 18 years and older. The US/Canada limitation is only for developers 13 - 17 years old.

That being said, for this competition all skills must be submitted and certified in the US Skill Store! You should be able to test it in the UK, but you cannot get it certified in the UK store yet. Does that make sense? If you have more questions, please let me know.

All the best,
    Stefanie

•   •   almost 2 years ago

So, just to be clear, I can make a skill and submit it but I must use US-East N. Virginia based ARNs? Right now I use Ireland as it's the closest one active to me that supports Alexa Skills but, as long as it wouldn't be a waste of time developing it given as it's only for the US market at this time, I can switch this skill to use the US-East N. Virignia ARN and still submit even though I'm in the UK. Is that correct?

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

Hey Christopher,

I believe that is the case, but I'm going to look into it before I fully confirm.

I'll get back to you shortly!

Stefanie

•   •   almost 2 years ago

Thanks

•   •   almost 2 years ago

I'm sad that the competition is not open to Brazil.

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

I'm sorry Francisco! Brazil has A LOT of local laws for competitions which makes it very difficult to run global competitions there. If you do build a skill and submit it, I'd be happy to display it in the gallery even if you can't compete for prizes. We wish we could include everyone.

All the best,
    Stefanie

•   •   almost 2 years ago

Did you confirm about submitting to US-East (Virginia) from the UK Stefanie?

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

Hey Chris - I think so, but I'm waiting for confirmation so I don't share the wrong answer.

FYI, there are also weekly Office Hours that Alexa hosts on Tuesdays. You can attend today or any Tuesday and you can post the Alexa Developer Forum if you're looking for quicker help in the future. That would be more direct.

Forum: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/spaces/165/index.html
    Office Hours: https://alexa.design/officehours

I'll get back to you as soon as I can, though!

Best,
    Stefanie

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

Hey Chris,

Thanks for waiting! Anyone can submit a skill to the US skill store from any region. The question we think you are getting at is which AWS Lambda endpoint do you need to use, Ireland or US East. The answer is, it doesn’t matter. "It’s a question of latency depending on the location your skill is likely to be used most. So, if you are going to make a skill for the US skill store, it makes more sense to use the US East endpoint, but it’s not required."

I hope this is helpful!
    Stefanie

•   •   almost 2 years ago

Thanks Stefanie. I think that's what I'll do. In fact I'll create it on both as I don't think UK users will be able to test as far as I'm aware on the US AWS server unless the device is registered in the US. I may be wrong there but better to be safe than sorry!

•   •   almost 2 years ago

@Stefanie Can you please confirm that I am eligible to join this competition. I belong to India and have done my graduation from India last year. I am currently a working employee.

• Manager   •   almost 2 years ago

Hey Priyam,

Residents of India ARE eligible to participate as long as you are 18 years or older. Sounds like you are since you graduated.

Everyone should always check the rules under 3. Eligibility parts A & B. Part B specifies other things that may make you ineligible, such as being an employee of Devpost or Amazon. If you have any questions about your personal eligibility that you don't want to post here, feel free to email us at support@devpost or direct message me on Slack (stef-devpost).

Thanks!