Attend a live event
- Join us for Office Hours – every Tuesday we answer your Alexa-related questions from 1:00-2:00 PM PST
Join the community
- Alexa developer forum – hosted by Amazon (Use the topic "Alexa Skills Challenge" in your question on this space on the forums if you didn't find the answer)
- Slack channel – hosted by Devpost
- Create Kid Skills for Alexa – see case studies and frequently asked questions
- Alexa Skills Kit – use self-service APIs, tools, documentation, and code samples to easily add your skill to Alexa
- Alexa Skills Store – check out existing skills, new arrivals, skill categories, and customer reviews
- Designing for Voice – learn the process for thinking through the design of a voice experience
- Getting Started – start building quickly with templates and tutorials
- Training Videos – learn from other skill builders
- On-demand Webinars – learn how to build a standout Alexa skill, building skills for Echo Show, and more
- Get the guide – 7 Tips on Building Standout Alexa Skills
- Echosim.io – use a browser-based interface to the cloud-based Alexa voice service to test your skill
- Test Your Skill – read how you can test a new skill
- Submit Your Skill for Certification – learn the steps and requirements to get your skill launched
- How to Build Engaging Kid Skills for Alexa – watch the first part of the webinar held on November 8, 2017
- Live Kid Skill Coding – watch the second part of the webinar held on November 8, 2017 (on Twitch)
- 6 Tips for Building Stellar Kid Skills – a 10-page PDF guide with links to helpful resources
- Alexa Cookbook – short code samples that show you how to add features to an Alexa skill
- Mix Master Kid Skill Template – practice key design principles including progressive prompting to help guide kids through interactions, and leveling to give kids a sense of accomplishment
- Certification Tips for Alexa Kid Skills – helpful points to help your skill get through certification with a gold star
Create a new skill and get your Skill ID
- Log into your Amazon developer account
- On the main developer console, click “Alexa” in the top menu bar
- On the Alexa Skills Kit button, click “get started”
- Click “add a new skill”
- Fill out the Skill name and Skill Directive and save.
- Your Skill ID for this skill will appear under the Skill name in the top menu bar:
Submit your skill for certification in the U.S. Alexa Skills Store
First, get prepared by checking the certification checklist. Then follow these steps:
- Log in to the Developer Portal.
- Navigate to the Alexa section by clicking Apps & Services and then clicking Alexa in the top navigation. This displays a list of your existing Alexa Skills.
- Find the skill to submit in the list and choose Edit.
- Note that there should be a green check mark next to each section. If any sections are missing the check mark, this means that at least one required field is not filled in. Review the section and complete all required fields.
- Click the Submit for Certification button. When prompted to confirm, click Yes.
Once you have submitted the skill, it shows “Certification” in the Status column on list of skills. While it is in the certification process, you cannot make any further edits to the configuration. If you change your mind, you can select the skill, then click the Withdraw from Certification button.
After Amazon completes the review, you will receive an email at the address associated with your developer portal account:
- If the skill has been certified, the email will provide an estimate for when it will become available to end users.
- If the skill could not be certified, the email provides information about the issues you need to correct. You can make any necessary changes and then re-submit.